Here is a strange one from the archives in the back of my mind. There is a reported phenomena that has come to be labled "Bedroom animals". Every occurrence I have read happens to children. From behind the window curtains or off the window sill they jump out to the horror of any terrified kid who witnesses them. They are said to look like a man in a costume- realistic yet oddly off. One instance had one that resembled a lion man but the legs seemed to come straight from the head. The most I have ever read of these beings doing is startling, sometimes dancing with the child, and then poof...gone. It is almost like their only goal is to scare. Could this be where tales off the boogeyman come from or are these one time events only a dream?
1. The picture is sketched out on cheap drawing paper (I need the ability to draw over background scenery and erase without leaving “dark parts” on the finished work.
2. I then shade the entire back of the drawing with a layer of graphite.
3. After the back is covered, I flip the sketch onto 9” x 12” (easiest thing to scan) Bristol board.
4. The image is then copied onto the board by pressing hard as I trace over the lines I want to keep.
5. The light graphite lines are covered by ink pen and the graphite is then erased.
6. With a Sharpie, I black in huge dark spots and all cast shadows.
7. Simple textures are then added to any surface that would benefit.
8. I shade everything at once covering surfaces with more and more ink as travel into the depths of the background.
9. For the benefit of my eyes (all the textures make edges disappear sometimes) I add a thin layer of Sharpie over all outlines.
10. Initial, flip, title, sign, and date
11. Now, it can be scanned. For Devianart I scan in at true size, but I set the dpi to 600. My scanners have all scanned in a lighter version of the real work so I turn to Corel Painter to make it match.